TaleSpire Dev Log 139

Over the break, I’ve put down the front-end code to begin getting a handle on the changes that will be made to the backend. Most of this has been focused on reading, here are some of the things I’ve been dipping into:

Reading things

Making things

As we use Photon for realtime networking in TaleSpire, we only need to focus on lower frequency events, such as persistence, for now. The alpha used a hacked together REST’ish api, which did the job but has all the expected issues (e.g. having to poll for changes). We are switching to using websockets for the Beta as it’s a relatively incremental step, will let us overcome some shortcomings, and still makes sense given the scale we will be at. It, too, will be a target for replacement in the future, but that is a subject for another day.

All of the server api the game uses is described by a data-structure that we then generate erlang & c# code from. I’ve updated the generator to create websocket handlers rather than the http/s ones. In doing so I’ve also been undoing some of the code that centralized some of the http management.

The last thing I did was update the code that polls to see which domain it is at before attempting to pick the right certificates and start serving over https.

The next step will be to rewrite the session handling code as it currently assumes a stateless connection.

Until next time,

Peace.



G
G
Guest
User
HotDog800
HotDog800
·
Thanks for the update Baggers.  The transparency of the development process is really reassuring and honest.  And really useful - I think I might have to pick up a copy of the WebRTC Cookbook.
B
Baggers
Baggers
·
It's a weird book to recommend as it has a bunch of small issues in how it's written (I guess there wasn't an editor) and doesn't explain stuff that well. However it's great to have anything that pulls all the parts into one place so you can see the big picture and then use it as a springboard to find other stuff